{Organisation} DIY Memo / Letter Board

7:00 am














Today's tutorial follows on from last weeks DIY Whiteboard. Today, I share with you another way to re-purpose an old picture frame and create something new and practical to use in your home or office.

Any fabric can be used to create this look. Personally, and if you've been following me for a while you'll know, I love me a Shabby Chic, rusty look to my home made items so hessian was the fabric of choice for this project. Unlike last week, no glass is required for this DIY and if the backing board is also missing, this could easily be recreated with some thick card.

Onto the tutorial!


What you will need:

Large Picture or Photo Frame
Paint of your choice
Sandpaper (optional if wanting a rustic appearance)
Backing board or similar hard card of wood sheet
Fabric
Staples (just normal staples, not a staple gun)



Steps:
  • First things first, pry the prongs on the back of the frame away from the backing board in order to easily slip this out. (By the way, I don't recommend you copy me by using scissors to do this so, if if you need to, ask an adult to help you out)
  • Pull away the backing board away and place this one side, we'll be using this later. If your old frame doesn't have one, some heavy card or wood sheeting will also work fine
  • Very gently remove any glass fronting. We won't be needing the glass for the project
  • Lay your empty frame on your table top with the good side facing up and paint in the colour of your choice. If you're using a wooden frame like mine, you'll need a good couple of coats
  • While this is drying, go back to your backing board
  • Cut your fabric to size allowing a generous amount on either side of your board
  • Fold over the top edge of fabric and staple in place. I'm just using a miniature travel stapler and despite it's size, it did a great job!
  • From here (and this is where your measurements may vary from mine depending on the size of your frame) I have worked out that I want to be able to  place a letter sized paper standing up right in each pocket so needed a pocket depth of 10cm. I measure 20cm down from the top of the board to allow a 10cm space for the top pocket and a 10cm depth for this first pocket also. I pull the fabric up to the bottom of my ruler and pin at the 10cm mark
  • From the top of this pocket, I then measure another 20cm, pull my fabric taught at the bottom of my ruler and it's final resting place is at the bottom of the previous pocket
  • Pin all layers in place at the middle and either side of the board
  • I continue to use this system for the remaining pocket
  • Fold the excess fabric over when you reach the bottom of the board and staple in place
  • Trim down the sides, allowing just enough to fold the sides of the fabric over and staple in place
  • Trim the bulk out of the corners to allow the board to more easily fit back into the frame
  • Turn over the metal tabs to secure in place and you're finished! A simple memo and letter board to help organise your work or office space

You Might Also Like

0 comments