Bento Lunchbox Ideas and Recipe #1 - Chicken Rice Muffins

3:41 pm

Bento lunchboxes are a fantastic way to get you thinking about what you're buying for packed lunches because they give you this overwhelming urge to fill each and every compartment!
This year, my oldest daughter is off to school (OMG, I'm the Mother of a School aged child!) so I wanted to get my A into G and start putting more thought into what I'm putting together for school, kindy and work lunches.

A great place for anyone to start is to evaluate what you're currently buying. For me, this was filling my online cart with everything I would normally automatically go for including chippies, packaged muesli bars etc. Checking how much I would normally spend then, setting myself that same budget to use for healthier options. Schools and childcare centres are also trying to promote rubbish free lunches. A great incentive for getting rid of those processed, packaged items.

So, for this week's kindy and work lunches we have:
FRUIT AND VEGES - Carrot sticks and grape tomatoes
DAIRY - Mango Youghurt topped with a few raisons
PROTEIN - Cheese cubes and a couple crackers for eating this with
TREAT - Popcorn Slice
SANDWICH ALTERNATIVE - Chicken and Rice Muffins
The rice of course being the CARBS, the chicken and egg being further sources of PROTEIN and there's a few extra VEGES packed it there too!

Chicken and Rice Muffins
Original recipe sourced from: www.planningwithkids.com

3 Cups Cooked Rice (1 Cup Uncooked)
1 Shredded Chicken Breast (+ oil and chicken stock)
1 Grated Carrot
3 Diced Spring Onion Stalks
1 1/2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese
3-4 Eggs (Depending on size)

Tip for cooking Chicken Breast
Gently sear each side in a lightly oiled pan then, add chicken stock almost to the top level of the chicken. Cover and allow to simmer / steam until tender and cooked through. Drain and fork through chicken to shred.

Steps for Chicken Rice Muffins
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl then place into a greased muffin tin, leaving some of the mozzarella to sprinkle on top before baking until golden brown at 210c or 410f. OR see my VIDEO TUTORIAL BELOW!



Popcorn Slice
This super easy recipe I learnt from Fern at The Fern Life. Check out the simple tutorial included in her recent video HERE.

You Might Also Like

1 comments